Monday, July 29, 2013

Nipper? Is that you?

I was browsing through some Beano comics from the late 1990's when I came across this advertisement for Jaffa Cakes by Gordon Bell.


Ten years earlier, Gordon was illustrating Nipper for the comic of the same name. Now, I don't know if it's just me but the character in the strip above looks awfully similar to Nipper, and he seems to have aged correctly too. Here's a picture of Nipper for you to compare.


There were some well-drawn adverts in the Beano back then. I might show some others another time, but just in case I never get round to it here's another one from a few months earlier, also drawn by Gordon Bell.


4 comments:

TwoHeadedBoy said...

Dave Sutherland did a few adverts for Jawbreakers - be on the lookout for those!

George Shiers said...

I'll keep my eyes peeled!

1000MB said...

to be honest most of Gorden Bell's characters looked the same anyhow.

Kid said...

I lettered the strip that single pic of Nipper comes from. Fame at last!