Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Real Life Black Bob Mystery!

The other day I picked up my first Black Bob annual - the 1961 book to be precise. However, there seems to be a bot of a problem with it - and not just a small one either. No, instead - one of the stories has been printed twice! Black Bob and the Shepherd Crook started on page 33, and what should be page 97!
Where the story should be.
After the second Sheperd Crook story the pages numbers go 45, 46, 47, 113 and correctly from there!
The same story - but on page 97!
Is this a one off mistake or did lots of these books have the same mistake? (I know not all of them did as I lookeed at the contents of another copy online). And if this is a one off mistake - how did it occur? It's a pretty big printing error and yet the book was still distributed.
Take a look at the page numbers here!

4 comments:

Peter Gray said...

Nice you got your first Black Bob book.I got mine for the first time this year as well..

Does the binding suggest it was the printers or human hands tampering with it..

George Shiers said...

I'm glad to finally get a Black Bob book - the art in the stories is amazing!

I've looked over the binding several times, and it all looks original, and all the pages are the same colour.

Lew Stringer said...

These things happen unfortunately, albeit rarely. Books are printed in "signatures" (several pages per section) then bound. Obviously the printer picked up two identical signatures by mistake so that section is repeated, replacing the section that should be there.

My copy of the first Shiver & Shake Annual is like that. I held onto it as it was unusual, but I don't think it'd be valuable.

George Shiers said...

Thanks for clearing it up Lew! I've never seen an annaul like it before - so I'll certainly be hanging onto my copy!

Maybe you could post your Shiver and Shake annual up on your blog? :)