Thursday, December 8, 2011

Frankie Stein Wham Award!


An intresting piece of comic history. Recently sold over at compalcomics.com for £275, with an estimated price of £300 - £350, sadly not quite reaching that.

Here is the auction description:

Lot # 215

Frankie Stein Monster Award by Ken Reid for WHAM! (1960s)
A one-off bust made by Ken Reid for a WHAM! readers competition that apparently did not take place. Entitled 'Frankie's Monster Award' the bust is made from resin and was modelled and painted by Ken with his brother's help. It measures approximately 4 x 4 x 2 ins deep. It is unique
£300-350

Congratulations to the winner of the auction! If you happen to be reading this could you please contact me as I'd love to see some more photo's of the model!


UPDATE:

I recieved an email from Ken Reid's daughter in law Linda, and it turns out Ken didn't actually make it model! It was designed and manufactured by Anthony (his son) and painted by Linda!


4 comments:

Peter Gray said...

I remember seeing this in Whoopee!! Where readers had to draw a scary monster..it had the drawn Frankie just like your picture..check out a 1982 Whoopee on the letter page..

Kid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
George Shiers said...

I don't have any of the weekly Whoopee comics, but I think they're may be some for sale in a second hand shop near me so I'll go down and take a look!

Anonymous said...

I've got one of these at my mother's house... I won it in a Whoopee competition - 1982 sounds about right - the competition was that you had to write in and say when you had been "a little monster" if memory serves.