Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rainbow - Tiger Tim's Own!

Well, it's been a week since my last post and since then I've gone through my entire comic collection to re-count them! I have 1,267 of them (Not including annuals)! I know it's not the biggest collection in the world, but I'm still proud of every one of them! So, as I looked through them I thought long and hard about what I should write a post upon next. In the end I decided upon these two classic Rainbow comics, both from 1945!
These 8 page comics (although some parts wouldn't be accepted today) are funny and a great pass-time! I can just imagine a little boy or girl sitting in front of the fire on a cold winters night, enjoying the mixture of text stories and strips!
So, what were some of the characters in Rainbow? Tiger Tim (and chums) would probably be the most recognised as he was on the front cover and there were many annuals plus Tiger Tim's Weekly! I think, but I'm not sure, that Tiger Tim was drawn by Bert Wymer. Can anybody back me up on that?
Also on the front cover is Policeman Pete, who is always overcoming small but challenging problems! Mrs Tabby and her Tibbies, is where Mrs Tabby puts a stop to the Tibbies menacing! Bonnie Bluebell - a children's Sherlock Holmes (it's a bit corny though), Sing Hi and Sing Lo - two Japanese who get up to some small but everyday adventures. The Two Pickles who have a cheeky dog called Fluff. He is a really enjoyable character and I'm sure many children would have laughed with him over the years! Ken the Pilot Boy, Pride of the Ranch, Sonny Day, Our Jolly Dolli-Wogs, The Merry Mice, Marzipan the Magician, On Holiday Farm, Tommy and His Trains and many more all filled up the pages of this cheery wartime comic! I think all the characters are fun and enjoyable and just wish there were still comics like this one around today!

2 comments:

Harry Rickard said...

Sounds great! Could you upload some full strips please? :)

George Shiers said...

Hi Harry - I'll try, it's just that the comic is a bit big for my scanner that's all. And does anybody know how I can make the images enlargen too full size everytime?